My first experience using Unreal Engine 4 was back in my introduction to 3D modeling course in which we created a two-minute in-game cinematic. This was more than a year ago so, needless to say, I’m a bit rusty in Unreal Engine today. So, to start off the week, I put in some time to take a crash course of Unreal Engine 4 to get back into the process. Continue reading
We have come to the conclusion of this course. With that comes my final build for my end of course project. I believe I created a piece that holds true to what my initial design concept was. I wanted to create an introduction to a fierce battle. I wanted to create a subtle atmosphere with the music. I wanted to highlight the horrors of war through character death and destruction of the player’s fraction. In the end, I think I found the balance. Hope you enjoy the piece!
After eight weeks of learning new systems and creating my end of course project, I think I finally have the bulk of the work completed with my cinematic. All I should have left to do know is do a bit of polishing and touching up. If I had more time, I would love to create a better looking character (that was my first attempt at creating a character after all!). On the whole, I am pleased with all the systems I learned throughout this course. Continue reading
This is a peak of my project level so far. Not much however I am learning quite a bit during the entire creation process. I learned a lot more of what not to do, to be honest, however that’s still learning something! Right now I have a movable player character however I am working on blending my character animations when he moves. Continue reading
I wanted to get a head start on my cinematic so I began messing around with the matinee feature in Unreal Engine 4. It does look a bit tricky however after watching some videos and reviewing the documentation, I believe I am beginning to develop a foundation of the basics. What I have so far is nothing special however it is my first stab on directing a cinematic. It is still a huge work in progress. Continue reading
This week’s iLab was fairly straightforward with porting my assets over to Unreal Engine 4. The issue I had with multiple copies of static meshes added when I imported animations were due to my forgetting to uncheck the import mesh checkbox. After I fixed that mistake I turned my attention to creating my audio content. My Professor recommended Freesound.org as an audio resource. On the site I was able to gather several background and sound effect .wav files that I believe will fit nicely in my project. I just have to make a couple of small changes using Audacity first.
This week is all about porting the created skeletal meshes and animations into our game engine in order to get them ready for use. Luckily, we have been doing this for a couple of weeks so no “true” surprises came up. Porting went smoothly and I the animations are looking just the way I wanted them to come out. Continue reading