GSP 261 Week 2

I started this week off with the required reading assignments. Luckily I started diving into the 3DS Max tutorials and manuals early last week has there is a strict learning curve to using the software competently. I was able to complete a simple animation tutorial as well as an artistic building.

On a break from the reading, I decided to do start on the next step of the course project; constructing a static mesh of a player vehicle. I choose the M-37 U.S. Military utility truck as the model that I will try to create. I believe the vehicle fits in very well with the game I am trying to develop. Also, with its blocky design, I believe it to be a great challenge for the new computer artist. I took a shot at doing a crude design on graph paper. I never claimed to be a good drawer.

Vehicle_MH31

I took a stab at a table for my first model. I started off by creating half of the length of the table I wanted. Then, I used the cut tool to create a polygon for a table leg which I extruded to a reasonable height. I used the chamfer tool to create a flatten look to the table leg. Then I copied the leg and attached it to the adjacent side. I had to rotate the leg a bit and really play with the movements in order to match it up properly. I’m sure there must be a better way to do that, just need to find how. Finally, I mirrored the model to create the opposite side of the table.

Table

table_wireframe

For my second model I decided to try to create a boat; specifically, a Jon Boat. Starting off was fairly straight forward. I took a box primitive to create the bulk of the boat. From there I used the Extrude and bevel tools to create the box like definition of the Jon Boat. The seats were created out of another primitive box scaled to the desired length. Still have a long way to go to become comfortable with this software; however I am enjoying the challenge.

jon_boat

jon_boat_wireframe

For my third model I decided to create a simple cup. I started with a primitive cylinder that I created to a decent size. Using the extrude tool, I was able to hollow out the cylinder creating the interior of the cup. I then selected two faces in different rows but same column and used the inset tool two create two smaller faces at those two locations. I used the extrude tool to create the handle of the cup by extruding the inlet faces to a reasonable length. I used the extrude tool again on the same faces to determine the thickness of the bridge. I then bridge the handle together. I wasn’t pleased with the distance of the legs so I selected the faces of the leg and moved them independently which in turned stretched the bridge. One thing I noticed was that I have no true sense of scale using the program. I remember in last week’s discussions that there was an article about scaling. I am going to dig through that next.

Cups

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s