Wrapping up this week I wanted to create a couple of custom animations. My first attempt was a simple wave animation so I can learn how to manipulate the system. After I got a feel for it I decided to create a death animation that I plan to use for an opening scene. Continue reading
I found out that refining the CAT animation presets can be a time consuming process. Guess no one really said it was easy. I’m sure once I get a better grasp on what each tool manipulates the entire process would go quicker. Just like the walk animation, the run animation preset had some funky looking movements. I was able to move the bones and bend angles to what I think is a reasonable looking run animation. Something is still off though. I think it’s the the arm movement. Continue reading
I wanted to get started early on the assignments as I believe this week will really give me a run for my money. I had to review a lot of documentation and videos on how to use the CAT kit on 3DS Max. The docs have a link to video tutorials that are very beneficial. The learning curve with animation has been fairly steep however I think I am getting a handle on what the basic properties are and can manipulate the animation to what I want. I have to keep in mind that I am learning the process and not developing the next “big hit.” Everyone is beginner at one point! Continue reading
With my character completed, it was time to port it to Unreal Engine 4. Because of its simplistic low polygon count, it imported with no issues except from scaling. I had to scale it in order to get a proper proportion against the vehicle. Once I had my scale to where I wanted, I started to do some research on how to animate the meshes. That’s what I will be working on for the time being.
With the base model of my character complete, it’s time to create textures to fill him out. I went with a camouflage pattern for the character’s outfit to include black “boots.” For the face I decided to create something along the line of Minecraft because of the “blockiness” of the head. I am truly amazed on what talented people can create utilizing these tools. Continue reading
I started off a little late this week than when I would have wanted to; however, after what I thought was a fairly successful week, I g0t to jump back on and take a stab on creating a 3D model character. A review of the lab instructions seem straightforward however it was still a little challenge creating this “simple” character. Continue reading
What a week so far! I was able to complete the iLab and thought I was almost completed with this week’s portion of the project. Man was I wrong! If I learned anything this week it’s that you really have to take your time with your models! If you mess something up early on, it could cost you hours of time trying to fix it. That is essentially what happened to me these last two days. Continue reading